Important update: retirement of wiki feature in Microsoft Teams as of Jan. 2024
Are you the owner of an MS Teams workspace featuring a wiki tab, typically used for meeting notes?
If so, we would like to inform you about a significant change concerning the wiki feature (usually used for meeting notes) in Microsoft Teams. Microsoft has announced that as of January 2024, the wiki feature will be retired and replaced by OneNote.
In this article:
As an owner of a team site, you will be required to take action on wikis associated to your Teams site before January 2024. The detailed actions are listed below.
To replace the wiki feature, Microsoft is introducing note-taking capabilities within Teams channels using OneNote. To ensure a smooth transition to OneNote, you must take the following actions:
Action 1: Coordinate the export process with your Team site co-owners.
Since there are multiple owners of your Teams site, we highly recommend working with the other owners to streamline the export process. Please keep in mind that only one owner per affected channel is required to initiate the export of wiki content to OneNote.
Action 2: Export your wiki content to OneNote
Export the wiki content to OneNote before January 2024. Please refer to the â€śSteps to export wiki content to OneNoteâ€ť section below for guidance.
Action 3: Advise members of your Teams site
Proactively inform members of your Teams site about this initiative. After you have exported your wiki to OneNote, your team members will need to click on â€śGo to Notesâ€ť (see image below), which will redirect them to OneNote.
Important things to communicate to your site members:
They will not be able to create new content in the wiki app or edit existing wiki content.
They will be able to view old wikis in â€śread-only mode,â€ť but they must not use the Wiki App for all new note-taking content.
- Standard channels â€“ You will have the option to export your content to OneNote by clicking the â€śGet detailsâ€ť button (see image below).
Refer to to guide you through the process.
- Private channels â€“ Automatic export is not available. You will need to manually export the content of your wiki by copying and pasting into OneNote or by placing the content in a location easily accessible to channel members.
Note: Private channels are indicated by a lock icon next to their name (see image below).
To copy/paste wiki content into OneNote:
- Select and copy the wiki content
- Click on the â€ś+â€ť sign in the tabs along the top bar to create a new tab
- Select OneNote from the available options
- Paste the copied content into your new OneNote tab
If you have any questions, please schedule a session. Alternatively, you can reach out to us via email at ccscmsdevelopers [at] campus.mcgill.ca (CCS CMS Developers).
Thank you for your collaboration.